VirtualBox allows you to run several guest operating systems simultaneously. Guest Additions provides several useful functions for the guest machine such as mouse pointer integration, full screen display, shared folders, shared clipboard, better and faster and more. In this article, we will show you how to install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Ubuntu 20.04 guests.
Install Guest Additions on Ubuntu
Adding VirtualBox guests can be installed using an additional ISO file for VirtualBox guests. That includes additional guest installers for all supported guest operating systems. Additional ISO Guest files can be installed on the VirtualBox virtual machine through the Virtualbox manager or by installing with a package manager.
Perform the following steps to install additional VirtualBox guests on the Ubuntu desktop or guest server.
1. Open the VirtualBox GUI Manager.
2. Start the Ubuntu guest virtual machine.
3. Enter the guest machine as a root or sudo user. Run under the command to install the packages needed to build the kernel module:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
4. Open the virtual machine and click Device> Insert the Guest Additions CD image in the Menu bar.
5. To install an ISO file, create a new directory using the Ubuntu terminal:
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
6. Open the directory and run the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run script to install Guest Additions:
sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
It will show output like below:
Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.1.8 Guest Additions for Linux... ... VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
7. Reboot the Debian guest so the changes take effect:
sudo shutdown -r now
8. Verify the installation once the virtual machine is booted, run the below command to check:
lsmod | grep vboxguest
vboxguest 348160 2 vboxsf
If it will not return any output means that the VirtualBox kernel module is not loaded.
Well, that is it. You have installed VirtualBox Guest Additions on your Ubuntu guest machine.
You can now enable mouse pointer integration, shared clipboard, shared folders, etc. from the virtual machine settings.
This tutorial shows you step by step how to install VirtualBox Guest Additions on your Ubuntu 20.04 guest machine.
Visit the VirtualBox Addition guest page to find out more.
If you have questions, please leave a comment below.